Valid from after Labour Day until after Thanksgiving Monday.
We are currently open Tuesday through Sunday, 10 AM to 5 PM, with exceptions noted below:
Closed most Mondays, from after the Labour Day weekend until the Victoria Day weekend. We will also be Closed on Mondays & Tuesdays, from AFTER Thanksgiving Monday UNTIL Victoria Day weekend.
EXCEPTIONS: Open on Statutory Holiday Mondays, such as Thanksgiving Monday.
We are always Closed on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Easter Sunday.
Severe weather may lead to temporary closures. Please call 403-553-2731 if you hear of severe weather to confirm. You can also check our Facebook page, for weather updates and closure notices.
Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump is located 18 kilometres (15 minutes) North and West of Fort Macleod on Secondary Highway #785 (paved).
275068 Secondary Highway 785
Legal Land Location
SW 6 - 9 - 27 - W4
- Adult (18-64): $15
- Senior (65+): $13
- Youth (7-17): $10
- Family (2 Adults + Youths to a maximum of 8 people): $40
- Child (0-6): FREE
- Canadian Military and Family (with CFOne card): FREE
- Cultural Access Pass: FREE
Payment can be made by cash (Canadian and American), debit, Visa, Master Card, and American Express. Please note there is no ATM onsite.
- All restrictions have been lifted.
- Staff and Visitors may continue wearing masks by personal choice.
- For details, Tap/Click Here.
- Visitor Information Center
- Gift shop - Open!
- Cafeteria - Closed for now
- Picnic tables
- 1.2 kilometre hiking trail beneath the cliff
- 200 metre walk upper trail
- Viewpoints and interpretive panels outside the Centre
- Handy building map here (pdf 300 kb)
Buffalo Jump Café
- The Buffalo Jump Cafe remains CLOSED for summer, 2022.
- The Cafe will re-open next summer, in 2023, when we have fully transitioned from the pandemic era, back to normal operations.
Bus Tour Group Visits
- We are working with Bus Tour Operators to plan for Summer 2022
- For more detailed information see the page for Group Tour Operators
- Contact our Marketing Director, Quinton.Crowshoe@gov.ab.ca
- "Napi's Creations" is OPEN
- Only Certified Service Animals are allowed onsite, with documentation from an Approved Certification Organization
- We encourage you to carry the official documentation with your Certified Service Animal.
- "Emotional Support Animals" are generally not considered Service Animals.
- Allow at least 2 hours for a complete tour of the Interpretive Centre Exhibits and the Cliff Top Viewpoint. We suggest that you arrive before 3:00 pm, for adequate time to experience the Interpretive Centre and its 7 levels of exhibits. Access to the Upper Trail Viewpoint is locked after 4:45 pm. The last showing of the 15 min. feature film, in our Main Theatre, "Pisk'un, The Buffalo Jump", begins at 4:30 pm. New arrivals to the Interpretive Centre are limited to the main floor exhibits after 4:30 pm. The Lower Trail remains freely accessible after 4:30 pm and provides views of the cliff, from below, as well as spectacular views of the surrounding landscapes.
- Check the local weather before visiting. Severe weather may lead to temporary closures. Check our Facebook page for updates about closures during severe weather like winter blizzards.
- Large parking lot and overflow parking available.
- Plenty of room for RV (recreational vehicle) parking, tour buses, and turnaround.
- No overnight parking.